Church Management Systems and the Digital Transformation

What if churches had software tools that went “beyond Sunday” to enhance fellowship, ministry, and outreach? Jeff Hook is the founder and CEO of Communitas Technologies, a new congregant-centered church software platform. Jeff and Chris talk about trends in tech adoption in churches, what digital transformation means, and how technology offers new opportunities for churches to serve and support their members and communities.

1 Like

Jeff has some fascinating insights on the history of church management systems, it’s funny how much the church has resisted tech adoption almost on principal. But if we can overcome this aversion, there is a lot to be gained from using data management and online networking tools for the kingdom.

Jeff and Chris also do some good work exploring the protections and protocols that are required for these applications to be helpful and secure.

1 Like

Emma,
Thanks for starting the conversation.

I was brought in as an administrator for my church partly to implement a new church management system. I knew how to work the web-app but did not anticipate the amount of pushback and potential issues the management system would lead to. Many of our older members (who volunteer regularly) had no idea how to access the monthly volunteer rota. Many of our members didn’t even have emails or internet access, so sending emails and notifications became impossible. I’ve had to keep the management system on the back-end of things and only use the management system as an email database when the church needs to email the entire congregation.

So implementing a new church management software requires a lot of patience, and there’s a sense in which the church needs to ensure that this transition is smooth and slow, lest the older members of the congregation (or those without email addresses or internet) feel left out. This may be more of an issue in Bangkok than the U.S., but I think the implications are worth considering: the more we move our activities online, the more likely people who don’t go online will feel out of the loop. Technology is overwhelming for many, and if we’re to guide them correctly, we’ll need clear communication on the frontlines of how the tech works.

@BenS that’s great perspective.

Perhaps in this case the technology could be leveraged to equip others to be made aware of the needs of the older members as a way of the community caring for each other?

And if the database offered the church ways of knowing where needs are in the community with those who have shown concern and a passion for serving those needs, then the technology becomes the bridge that brings people together in relationship.