EdTech Lessons on Technology Adoption in the Church

Recently churches around the world have been forced to make sweeping changes to their services and ministries, many operating exclusively online for months. Some of these changes have been fruitful. But as most of us have seen, the innovation of sacred space is a delicate process.

How can churches move forward with new technology without resistance or, worse, leaving people behind?

Jessica Pilsner is an Education Technology Coordinator at St. Thomas School, and currently studying for a graduate degree with the University of Washington Human Centered Design and Engineering program. In this episode, she and Chris talk about the lessons Educational Technology has for tech adoption in the church. They also discuss a virtual Hackathon event coming up this month called Code for the Kingdom, and how God how God has been at work in Jessica’s career, creating a path she couldn’t have anticipated.

While you listen, keep some of these questions in mind:

• What are one or two ideas that resonate with me?
  • In which specific ways can I use these ideas to further the kingdom in my work as an entrepreneur and/or technologist?

Now, feel free to join in the conversation by clicking the “Reply” button below.

1 Like

I enjoyed hearing about the tradition of “calling” teachers and preachers in the Lutheran faith. To me it seems to be more about humility than anything else, listening first and foremost for God’s will when you take on your vocation and first position.

I also thought the parallels between project-based learning and hackathon/project events was interesting, I think there is a lot more to unpack there.

But the highlight of the episode has to be the discussion on tech adoption in the church. Jessica emphasizes the importance of giving everyone in the church a voice on changes, then Chris talks about how to shift the narrative into an inclusive message everyone can get behind.