TheoTech Social Media Optimization and Ethics

What, if anything, is different about the way Christians use social media?

The question is discussed a ton (we even had a recent podcast episode about it), so I thought I’d chime in with some of my recent experience.

A big part of my job with TheoTech is developing our social media presence (particularly Twitter) and doing organic networking. As part of an entrepreneurial venture, it’s critical that I do some hard research about best practices for when to post, how to play to a platform’s algorithm, etc.

I’ve found some good resources (if you’re looking for the basics, I found this article from Buffer a good place to start) and already seen results from implementing them and experimenting with how they apply to our niche specifically.

It has brought up some interesting questions, though. When does “targeting high-return opportunities” become neglecting the poor, or idolatry? How might “playing to the algorithm” obscure the voice of God as He leads our decisions?

I don’t think there’s a simple answer, but rather that the process of asking the questions is its own safeguard. This is why the central pillar of TheoTech is “What if God were our primary customer?” It keeps us grounded in the reality that every one of our business practices should reflect His character, even as we leverage the wisdom of the world to be as cunning as serpents, yet innocent as doves.

What do you think about “playing to the algorithm” and applying worldly wisdom to Christian business?

1 Like

Something else I’m thinking about is posting rate, timing, and quality.

There is an ideal nexus somewhere between the three, but there are so many variables. Company size, existing social media presence, target audience, industry… all of these could theoretically factor in.

All I can say is Thank God for the post-scheduling features in Twitter (and several other platforms like Facebook). This has done wonders to help me space out content and time to to coincide with important releases across our brands.

Still experimenting with incorporating other tools!

1 Like

I actual wrote about that question from an entrepreneurial perspective here:

I coined the idea of “TheoTech’s Magic Quadrants” to help discern what is aligned with God’s Kingdom and what is not :slight_smile: